COVID-19 Disease is an infectious disease caused by Coronavirus. Its first case was discovered in Wuhan Province of the People’s Republic of China in December 2019. It spreads primarily through getting into contact at a very close range of less than one meter with an infected person or contaminated surfaces and predominantly if an infected person coughs or sneezes.
There are many myths and misconceptions surrounding the pandemic which include the following;
|Cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption helps reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19||Smoking and alcohol consumption actually weakens the immune system, thereby increasing the chances of being at risk|
|Consumption of Vitamin C rich foods protects individuals from getting the virus||COVID-19 is not a deficiency disease, therefore, it cannot be fought through food supplements|
|Coronavirus only affects the elderly||Coronavirus has no respect for age, race or ethnicity, although the elderly and chronic patients are at high risk|
|The virus does not affect humans of African orientation, the blacks in particular||The virus affects people of all races across the globe|
|Masks and gloves are enough for the protection against Coronavirus||Masks and gloves aid in the protection against COVID-19 but maximum hygienic practices should be maintained at all times|
|The flu vaccine protects against the Coronavirus||So far there is no cure against the virus, only preventative measures are considered to be helpful|
|If one contracts Coronavirus they will not recover||Those who get tested earlier and receive medical help stand better chances of recovering from the pandemic|
The Corona Virus can be prevented through the following ways;
- Washing hands under running water with soap for at least 20 seconds or consistent use of alcohol-based sanitizers;
- Maintain at least one-meter gap between yourself and anyone next to you since one cannot tell who is infected and who is not;
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose at all time;
- Ensure that you and the people around you practice good hygiene i.e. cover your mouth, nose when sneezing or coughing with a bent elbow or tissue paper which is to be disposed of immediately after use;
- If one has traveled from an area or country that has recorded cases of the COVID-19, they have to go into self-isolation for at least two weeks.
- If you have a fever, cough or difficulty with breathing, urgently seek medical attention and follow the directives given by the health authorities.
- Most importantly, stay home and avoid unnecessary movements and unnecessary groupings as this will minimize your chances of contracting the virus
- Seek the correct information from reliable sources and share correct information.
Be INFORMED, Be SAFE, Protect YOURSELF and protect OTHERS!!!